Problem with conffiles

Hello,

I have trouble installing configuration files into /etc.
They're in the distribution, and are marked in DEBIAN/conffiles.

However, they're unpacked as /etc/$name.dpkg-new, and during the
configuration of the package they're erased.
This did AFAIK not happen in potato, but I couldn't find any reason for this
in the Policy.
Do I need to supply any additional information within the package to prevent
this?

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net