Re: glimpse for debian?

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:31:33PM -0800, Golda Velez wrote:
> I'm the current maintainer of glimpse search engine, which is not open
> source but is free for edu & nonprofit, and which I am happy to let people
> distribute as long as they keep the COPYRIGHT notice around that tells
> commercial folks they are supposed to pay.
>
> Would debian want to distribute glimpse, given that its not GNU licensed?

We can't include it in the main section of the distribution, since
everything in main allows commercial as well as non-commercial
redistribution (not necessarily the GNU licence - BSD, X11, public
domain and a number of other licences are represented there too).
However, glimpse could certainly be returned to the non-free section if
a Debian developer wanted to maintain it.

The reason why it was removed was due to a combination of its Debian
maintainer having gone missing, various Debian-specific problems which
weren't getting fixed, and a grave security bug that had been open
against it for a long time. I remember looking at it at the time and
deciding that it was well beyond our scope to fix, especially since it
didn't make it into our last stable release, and a few other people
agreed with me; if you could take care of that bug, though, then it
could potentially be reintroduced.

URLs for bug lists:

  http://bugs.debian.org/60852
    (the temporary file race mentioned above)

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=glimpse&archive=yes
    (all archived bugs against glimpse; the ones closed by Jose Carlos
    Garcia Sogo are the ones that were still open when the package was
    removed)

Regards,