${shlibs:Depends} - What is it?

Hi,

I have been working on a particular package on my workstation, which runs
Sid. Now, I was some days away from my office, and had only my laptop
(Potato). As my package is not too complicated, I decided to modify it to
be built with Potato successfully - As I guessed, it was fairly easy...
The first question of this message is if you notice anything wrong. I am
working with debhelper... The changes I did were:

- In control, I decreased the standards-version from 3.5.2 to 3.0.1
- In rules, I decreased DH_COMPAT from 3 to 2

That was it.

Now, I had a problem: When building on my Potato machine, I kept running
into this message:

dpkg-deb: parse error, in file `debian/tutos/DEBIAN/control' near line 7 package `tutos':
 `Depends' field, missing package name, or garbage where package name expected
dh_builddeb: command returned error code
make: *** [binary-indep] Error 1

I have the following information in my Depends:

Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, apache | apache-ssl | httpd, php4, php4-pgsql | php\4-mysql, php4-pgsql | mysql-client, postgresql-client | php4-mysql, postgresql-\client | mysql-client

(remember my question a couple of days ago regarding some strange
dependencies? Well, here they are :) )

I thought the main problem was this strange combination - I removed it to
no avail, and fiddled with the line until I got the problem: I removed the
first dependency (${shlibs:Depends}), and it worked correctly.

I have always seen this thing in the dependencies, and I still don't know
what it means. Can anybody share some light on it?

Thank you very much.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23