Re: dh_testroot wants root even with fakeroot

Hi Sean,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:02:25PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > I do have fakeroot installed.  "fakeroot dh_testroot" succeeds, too.
> > I've attached the `debian/rules' file in question.  Any ideas?
> >

> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot ......
>
> you have to run fakeroot yourself, this is not automagic.

Actually it is.  See below.

> Check out dpkg-buildpackage's manpage for the -r parameter for more info.

I use debuild.  According to the debuild man page:

       debuild needs to be run as superuser to function properly.
       There are three fundamentally different ways to  do  this.
       The  first,  and  preferable,  method is to use some root-
       gaining command.  The best one to use  is  probably  fake
       root(1),  since  it  does not involve granting any genuine
       privileges.  super(1) and sudo(1) are also  possibilities.
       If  no -r ( or --rootcmd) option is given (and recall that
       dpkg-buildpackage also accepts a -r option) and neither of
       the  following  methods  is  used,  then  -rfakeroot  will
       silently be assumed.

I've been using debuild successfully for years as a non-root user.  My
problem, as Matt pointed out (thanks Matt!), was that I was resetting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks for the help guys!
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <ossama@ece.uci.edu>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine