Re: Where to start?

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Glen wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I'd like to get involved in debian development, and this sounded like a good
> place to get some advice on where to start.  Here's a little background info
> on me: I'm currently attending school at UC Riverside, majoring in computer
> science.  I'm fairly good at C and C++ and in the process of learning Python
> and Java.  I could probably devote at least 10 hours a week to whatever it is
> I'd be doing.  So, let me know where I should go from here.

Right now Debian is attempting to get our next release "woody" out the
door.  There are a number of release critical bugs which are holding us
up. Plus there are other miscellaneous bugs which should be fixed.  If you
could go through the bug list and submit patches for some of these bugs,
you would be doing a huge service to the Debian community and helping
familiarize yourself with how Debian works in the process.  Or you could
take over maintenance of an orphaned package, help write documentation
(which is something people at LinuxWorld said we really need.) or create a
new package for software which isn't yet in Debian.

Some URLs:

Release critical bugs:  http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
Bug tracking System:  http://bugs.debian.org/
Orphaned packages:  http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned/