Re: Private perl modules

Tollef Fog Heen <tollef@add.no> writes:

> It includes some private perl modules, which are only used
> internally.  Is it okay to put those in
> /usr/share/request-tracker/lib or should I try to put them somewhere
> sane in /usr/share/perl5/ ?  I don't think they are useful for any
> application except RT.

Short answer: the former.

Recently the point was raised on debian-java
that "private" (non-library) classes could well be used by other
applications even if the original author did not intend it. While this
may be true I think the decision whether to place a module in a
private or public location should convey the intent of the author --
public modules must obey stronger interface guarantees which an
application author will often not intend to fulfill for private
components.

Someone wanting to use a private component in another context should
use a copy in the short run, and in the long run someone (maybe the
original author) should maintain a "library" version of the component
which both applications and others may use.

--
Robbe