Re: Include bison-generated files in package?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 12:20:12AM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> > So, what's wrong with this picture? Should I build-depend on bison and
> > generate the file in the build target, or should I modify the makefile
> > to not delete the generated file? Both seem ugly to me. Is there
> > something else I should do?
>
> Since dpkg-buildpackage will call debian/rules clean, which should
> call ${MAKE} distclean, which will delete the file anyway, I'd suggest
> build-depending on bison, and making sure upstream releases a correct
> tarball next time.

make distclean should not delete the files in the first place.  The
distclean target should remove only generated files which are not included
in the distribution (such as object code), and since this bison output is
rightly included in the distribution, it should be left alone.

--
 - mdz