Re: provides and dependencies

Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> Hello, ...

Hi,

> I have a package C, which i wanted to make depend on B only, but which should
> also work when A is installed, since A provides B.
>
> But this does not work, when A is installed C refuses to install.

  What does dpkg tell when you try to install C?

> I solved this with using :
>
> Depends: A | B

  Yes, I already experienced this.

  IIRC, this is documented in policy, i.e. when you want to depend on
  a virtual package (or a provided package), you must have :

  Depends: <real package name providing B> | <virtual package name>

  A = real package name providing B (there must be at least one)
  B = virtual package name

  I hope this helps.

--
Jérôme Marant