Re: strange errors with unofficial kernel module

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:23:20PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I maintain the plex86 package which includes a custom kernel module I
> provide make-kpkg scripts to build on the users' host.
>
> The module's always worked fine. however, i get this errors when loading
> it:
>
> *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.16/misc/plex86.o
>
> Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.16/misc/plex86.o will taint the kernel:
> no license
>
> Anyone can help? I know the first is something with depmod, but i have no
> further idea.

It should give you the symbols that are unresolved when you try to load
it.  You can use that to find out what's missing.

> For the second, Plex86's license is LGPL. where can i specify it so that
> insmod knows?

It's part of the module information.  In the source, use

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

to indicate the license.  The strings have to match exactly, according
to $linuxsrc/include/linux/modules.h there is no LGPL tag.  But LGPL can
count as GPL when linked with GPL code.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44