Package abandoned by upstream author

Hi all,

I am working on a package for fblogo, a tool to create framebuffer
logos for the kernel.

The upstream author's email isn't valid anymore and the original
homepage doesn't exist either. Furthermore, the upstream source is 6k
big, and the diff is allready 80k (examples etc), so wouldn't it be
better if I declare myself upstream author of this tool 'based on
fblogo by xyz'?

Technically this would be possible as it is released under the GPL, I
just wondered what was common practise in such cases. Also, I'm not
sure if I should then rename the tool to distinguish it from the
original one or if it would be ok to keep the name?
(I have only sent an ITP, but haven't uploaded it yet to unstable as I
thought my account might be created while I'm busy working on the
package)

Thanx,
Gordon

--
Gordon Fraser                   Our informal mission is to improve the
gordon@freakzone.net            love life of operators worldwide.