libtool is a fool?

Hi,

I am trying for the first time to put together a package that creates a
shared library. I was under the impression that the "Right Way" to do this in
debian is to use libtool. I inserted the following lines into Makefile.am

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libvpopmail.la

libvpopmail_la_SOURCES = $(COMMONSOURCES)
libvpopmail_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:0:0
libvpopmail_la_LIBADD  = -lfreecdb -lfreecdbmake -ldl

LIBTOOL_DEPS = @LIBTOOL_DEPS@
libtool: $(LIBTOOL_DEPS)
        $(SHELL) ./config.status --recheck

However on compilation i get the following error:

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o libvpopmail.la -rpath
-version-info 1:0:0 vpopmail.lo md5.lo bigdir.lo vauth.lo file_lock.lo
vpalias.lo -lfreecdb -lfreecdbmake -ldl -lnsl -lcrypt
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

Obviously it is passing an empty argument to rpath. If I manually run this
command without the rpath option it succeeds. Why is libtool doing this? Am I
doing something blindingly stupid?

I have tried this with and without the libtool hack for debian
(LIBTOOL_IS_A_FOOL).

I am using libtool version 1.3.3-9.1. I don't want to upgrade because I want
the package to work on a potato system.

thanks, Iain.

--
public key available at http://www.minihub.org/~iain/iain.asc