Re: to conffile or not to conffile

Matt Armstrong wrote:
>     - I really do want to make it a conffile, so the user is notified of
>       future options.

I don't follow this point. The user will only be informed that the
conffile has changed if they have modified it in some way and you change
the conffile that's distributed with the package. Marking a file a
conffile is not going to guarantee that user is informed about new stuff.

The way to let the user know about future options is with a note in
README.Debian and a note in the changelog.

If I were you, I'd not ship it as a conffile, and would go the more
complex, but more flexible route of managing the configuration file in
your package's maintainer scripts.

--
see shy jo