Re: Mail access

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, peter karlsson wrote:

> While sifting through the policy upgrade checklist for one of my
> packages, I came to the information about changing mail access from
> /var/spool/mail to /var/mail. That's not hard. Also, the
> upgrade-checklist states that I should "[...] include a suitable
> Depends field; details in [12.6]". What Depends? On the policy? There's
> nothing in 12.6 about any dependencies required (lest I am missing
> something).

If your package depends on libc6, that's enough, because
libc6.postinst ensures that /var/mail exists on upgrades.

If your package does not depend on libc6 you should make it to depend
on base-files >= 2.2.0, since base-files.postinst also ensures that
/var/mail exists on upgrades.

In debian-policy_3.5.6.0 from woody, it's in "10.1.3".