Re: Native packages

peter karlsson wrote:
> Santiago Vila:
> > I would first create the Debian source and binary packages for upload,
> > and then distribute the resulting tar.gz elsewhere, in that order.
>
> The problem is that I am generating the tar from my CVS (not all of the CVS
> is exported, there are some MSWIN and OS/2 specific stuff there that only
> goes into those releases),

Including MSWIN and OS/2 specific stuff in a Debian source tarball
should not be a problem. The unzip package I maintain, for example,
has a *lot* of non-Unix specific stuff which I prefer to keep untouched
(in the sense of not excluding it from the tarball) since it does not
make harm either. The build process just ignores it.

> so I don't want dpkg-buildpackage to overwrite it.

Why does dpkg-buildpackage overwrite it? (I don't do CVS, does it
have something to do with CVS?)

> Also, I create my tar under fakeroot to avoid the problems with a local
> user owning files in the archive, but I can't seem to get dpkg-buildpackage
> to do that.

A local user is allowed to own files inside a source tarball, there is
no requirement that the files are owned by root.root (the only important
thing is that local users do not own files in the .deb binary).