Re: Clarification: ports, archs, autobuilders

Stephan A Suerken wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like anyone to comment if I am right on these points.
>
> o There's currently no standard way (for developers) to test
> the building of packages on public (alien arch) machines.

In general, if your package builds ok in a chroot environment
with just essential, build-essential and your named
build-dependencies installed you should be ok.  The arch
differences should be picked up on by the buildd operators.

> [ What I have in mind is a s.th. like a chroot environment like
> on vore, but with some add-on to allow developers to satisfy
> (special) build dependencies (i.e., to install packages).]

If you'd like to hack, most buildd operators will install your
dependencies.  Developers have access to vore and voltaire at
least and you can generally get an account on the others by
asking.

> o Instead, the procedure is rather to upload the package and
> check if autobuilders catch up and add packages to the debian
> archive, and to rely on bug reports.
>
> o The several autobuilders are run by debian developers, using
> buildd.d.o, who then in turn upload successfully built binary
> packages to the debian archive.

Yes.  Mostly painless because of Roman Hodek's
wanna-build/buildd/sbuild system.

> o There is no (standard) way to get autobuilder buildlogs.

There is a page in the works for this.

Until it's done, you can get the m68k build logs at
http://bruno.fmepnet.org

Some others are

http://buildd.tdyc.com/logs
http://voltaire.debian.org/buildd/logs/
http://buildd.armlinux.org/~buildd

The logs get archived after 14 days and take longer to dig up, at
least on m68k.  Your package should have built or failed by then.

> [I.e., for example, I really could not find a list
> of autobuilders. I know about vore(sparc), where
> it seems to be possible to access buildlogs via
> "http://vore.debian.org/buildlogs/<pkg>" (if it's not broken
> ;). So it seems currently a developer whose package does not
> build (or show up) on some alien <arch> -- and does not get
> useful bug reports -- is at a loss.]

Problems with m68k should get a response on the
m68k-build@nocrew.org list.  The buildds run pretty much
unattended as far as current work goes but old problems can get
forgotten.

Rick