Re: Conflict with debian/files

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 08:04:24PM +0200, Ove Kaaven wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Brett Cundal wrote:
>
> > I'm using dh_movefiles, which uses a package file called
> > "<package>.files", or "files" which applies to the main package only. This
> > appears to conflict with (I think) dpkg-genchanges, which clobbers
> > debian/files with some information about the built packages. So the next
> > time the package is built it fails because dh_movefiles can't find the files
> > specified in the new debian/files...
>
> Usually, there are two circumstances:
>
> 1. A multi-package source, in which case you'd use "<package>.files", not
> "files" (or at least I do)

That's correct, except dh_movefiles will look for debian/files whether you
want it to or not... if there's no debian/mainpackage.files it will try
debian/files which will be present after a build and will cause problems on
the next build...

In my case I used debian/package-docs.files to move some files out to the
docs package... there was no mainpackage.files, so the problem occured...

> 2. A single-package source, in which case you don't use dh_movefiles
> (you'd install directly to debian/<packagename> instead of debian/tmp)

Right, I don't see a problem here generally, although the filenames would
still conflict if you did call dh_movefiles for some reason... Build in tmp
and only move in files that you want in the package, perhaps... There's a
possible problem at least.

> In neither case do you need "files", so there's no *real* problem.
> At best, the bugreport should be severity wishlist, in my opinion.

You don't *need* files, but it will be there and dh_movefiles will find it
and barf... To work around it you'd have to create an empty
mainpackage.files, I suppose.

Anyhow, I'll see if I can find a workaround, stick something in the BTS
and let the maintainer decide.

-- Brett