Replaces: and pre/post rm

Until the crypto in main stuff settles down, I'm setting up sendmail to
build either SSL or non-SSL...  All that works fine...

The problem comes when the user replaces the non-ssl with the ssl
version (or visa versa):  the postrm script on the replaced version
is apparently called with the PURGE option.

The purge option removes some automatically created files (non conffiles),
which is fine when one is truly doing a dpkg --purge

When replacing one package with another, I'd like to keep those files
around so the new package can use them (they may've been modified by
the user, so just regenerating them isn't enough).

I need either package to (if possible) recognize the `replace` case
and either:
	* Not delete some files
	* Stuff the files away where they can be moved during pre-inst
	  of the replacing package.

Has anyone done this ?

I guess I should've had the ssl version just create the sendmail binary
and have its inst/rm script handle diversions on the non-ssl binary ;)
--
Rick Nelson
<igor> Hah! we have 2 Johnie Ingrams in the channel :)