Re: dpkg-genchanges and fileslistfile

Niall Young <niall@rave.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>I'm packaging up Device::SerialPort from CPAN (for my own
>use), and have been banging my head against this wall:
>
>niall@host:~/Device-SerialPort/Device-SerialPort-0.10$ dpkg-buildpackage
>-rfakeroot
> dpkg-genchanges
>dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot read files list file: No such file or directory
>
>I've created a files list, tarred it up with the source, but it
>seems to disappear each time.  Manually specifying an alternate file
>results in:
>
>niall@host:~/Device-SerialPort/Device-SerialPort-0.10$ dpkg-genchanges
>-fdebian/Device-SerialPort.files
>dpkg-genchanges: error: badly formed line in files list file, line 1
>
>whose contents is:
>
>etc
>etc/Device

[...]

No, dpkg-genchanges is looking for debian/files, which looks like this:

  [cjw44@riva ~]$ cat src/debian/groff/groff-1.17/debian/files
  groff-base_1.17-3_i386.deb text important
  groff_1.17-3_i386.deb text optional
  groff-x11_1.17-3_i386.deb text optional

Lines are added to that by dpkg-gencontrol (or dh_gencontrol, if you use
debhelper) during the course of the build. debian/files shouldn't be
shipped with the source package; in fact, lintian will complain if you
do.

Cheers,