Re: Autoconf test for Debian?

James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to> writes:

> is being created on a Debian system. The reason is that I have a very small
> set of diffs that I want applied to the package only for Debian, and hope
> at some stage to feed these diffs upstream (things like file paths, etc).

Why are these changes only applicable when on a Debian system? What
about Progeny? Corel? SuSE? Orange Bone Linux? OpenBSD? SunOS? Cygwin?

The correct way to to size up OSs and people is to check for
capabilities, not names.

For example, if you want to know whether /proc/loadavg is usable, try
to open it. This test will then work on any Linux, and maybe other
systems as well, and won't break when Linux 3.17 returns to the purity
of using /proc only for processes.

> > if test -f /etc/debian_version ; then
> >         AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
> >         INSTALL="/usr/bin/install"
> >         AC_SUBST(INSTALL)
[...]

Why not check directly whether /usr/bin/install exists? This will then
work on any OS that has it.

> Is using /etc/debian_version the right thing to do, or is there a
> better/more accurate way to determine this? Existence of
> /usr/bin/dpkg? Existence of /var/lib/dpkg?

Since /etc/debian_version is a conffile, a user may have removed it.
My answer would be to check if "dpkg -s base-files" succeeds, but
that's not 100 % either. Anyway, you shouldn't do that, see above.

--
Robbe