Package Orphanalization

Hi,

I'm interested in a package (gnu-smalltalk, specifically) whose maintainer
appears to be inactive (on this package, at least)...

I would be willing to maintain the package if possible, but I'm not
currently a Debian maintainer... Can I package something and see if the
current maintainer will upload it?

I haven't contacted the current maintainer -- I assume he's aware of the
situation, since there's a few "serious" bugs which are hundreds of days
old. Should I or someone contact him?

Anyhow, I just thought I'd find out what I can do. If it's possible for me
to package it, I might need some help from a "mentor"... some of the changes
made to the package are a little beyond me.

Hopefully this is appropriate of me to ask here... Thanks in advance.

-- Brett