Re: dh_testroot ?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:50:37PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> I just noticed the debian/rules file for mirrormagic which I inherited from
> Joey Hess uses dh_testroot to check that the build is run as root (or
> fakeroot).
>
> I'm wondering what the justification for doing this is.  It prevents, for
> instance, a home user compiling his own deb before installing unless he
> specifically compiles it under root or fakeroot.
A home user wanting to install a deb needs to have su rights, so where is
the problem building a package with sudo (or fakeroot)?
For some building steps you need su rights, like setting the permissions of
the files in the deb to root.root or something. If the admin does not want
to give out sudo rights, fakeroot should be fine in most cases. But I guess
nearly every "home" user is his own admin.

> I'm fairly certain this is a Stupid Question, but one way of learning is to
> ask the stupid questions... ;)
Sure, we all ask stupid questions ;-)

Christian
--