Questions about library names

  Hello!

 I'm trying to package a library, but I have some questions regarding
the name the package should have.

 First of all, the policy says that the library package must something
like libpackagesoname, so if the library that the package has looks
like:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 jose     jose           17 abr 30 12:44 libgpgme.so ->
libgpgme.so.0.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 jose     jose           17 abr 30 12:44 libgpgme.so.0 ->
libgpgme.so.0.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 jose     jose       222895 abr 30 12:44
libgpgme.so.0.3.0

the package must be called libgpgme0, isn't it?

OK, let's say now that the current is increased, and the new name of the
library is libgpgme.so.1.0.0. This means that I should change in the
debian/control file the name of the package and it will become libgpgme1
but, what happens with the old package (libgpgme0) and with the programs
compiled against it?

 How these things are managed?

Thank you!

--

José Carlos García Sogo         Seahorse(-bonobo) developer
jose jaimedelamo eu org         http://seahorse.sourceforge.net

Key-Id: 0x90788E11
Fingerprint = B06B 023F EAA6 37DC 1E62  B079 4BE0 5825 9078 8E11