Re: Policy Questions: Example files in /usr/share/doc

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:50:28PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the policy upgrading checklist says:
>
> |      - Files in /usr/share/doc may not be referenced by any
> |        program. If such files are needed, they must be placed in
> |        /usr/share/package-name/, and symbolic links created as required
> |        in /usr/share/doc/package-name/
>
> Does "any program" include postinst scripts? It is common practice to
> put the default config file in /usr/share/doc and copy it to the final
> destination in the postinst if a file of that name is not already
> there.

Yes, it does.  There is a concern that if dpkg one day offers the
functionality to selectively ignore file trees such as /usr/share/doc,
such postinsts will break.  There are already people who have been
affected by this sort of thing.

> I would be forced to move these files to /usr/share, and to add
> special code to my maintainer scripts to link them to /usr/share/doc.

No you won't; just put them in /usr/share/$package in your rules file,
and add the symlink in your rules file.  No special maintainer script
code needed; dpkg can handle symlinks in .debs.

> Or would it be a possible way not to put the default config files to
> /usr/share/doc/$package? Where to put "real" examples that are not
> accessed by maintainer scripts?

Real examples can go in /usr/share/doc/$package/examples if you want.
If the default config files are not really interesting as examples,
just needed by the postinst, then you can put them in
/usr/share/$package (say as "default.conf"), and not bother linking
them from /usr/share/doc.

HTH,

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/