Re: Custom package versioning

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Amaya wrote:

> At work, we are making custom Debian packages and we need a special
> versioning system so that apt does not try to replace our package with
> a newer upstream one.
>
> I would like to know if there's a standard way to proceed, apart from
> setting the debian version to customX, which is good, but doesn not
> deal with the fact that dpkg will try to replace the package with a
> newer upstream one.

At my work, we pulled a copy of stable and placed it on a mirror.  Then we
created our own "dist" with two sections - bofa (Bank of America) and
backports.  The first is for truly local packabes, and the second is for
"Debian upstream" packages that we recompile for various reasons (either
stuff from unstable, or slight mods, etc.)  We've got a script to regen
our packages files every time we drop something new into the mirror.  We
name our packages "version-XlocalY"

Pros:
complete control over what gets installed on your systems
fast internal mirror is faster and saves bandwidth for everybody

Cons:
relatively labor intensive to keep current on point releases and
security.d.o (but we've got really strong change control, and we know
what's out there!)

HTH,
tony