build deps

Hello,

I was wondering if Build Deps in a source package follow dependencies.
For example, if I build a package that requires libgnome-dev to
compile, do I need to specify the myriad of other packages that are
automatically installed when I install libgnome-dev?

Also, if something depends on say, libgtk1.2-dev, do I need to specify
xlibs? Technically, you don't /have/ to have xlibs if you use an
alternate target (like upstream CVS libgtk1.2 which supports the
framebuffer)

Thanks for your help,

Aubin