Re: i have a problem with making a .deb file

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 05:47:27PM +0200, Christian SPENER wrote:
> On Friday 06 April 2001 02:05, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:58:31PM +0200, Christian SPENER wrote:
> > > i made a deb file from tar.gz file, did everything like in the new
> > > maintainer guide. it is easy cause the programm is a kdevelop programm,
> > > so it uses automake conf etc.
> >
> > Could you show us your rules file, perhaps?  Are you using debhelper?
> >
> > > everything workes, only the binary goes to /bin not to /usr/bin
> >
> > Where did you say to put it?
> >
> > > when i look into into the deb file, under CONTENTS there are this dirs
> > > bin
> > > usr
> > > share
> >
> > What is "CONTENTS"?  How do you look into the deb file?
> >
> >    Julian
>
> thx, the problem was in the rules file, i had to edit it. thx Gordon Sadler
> for the help.
>
> now the debs work,ok but with
> lintian -i programm.changes i get this error
> E: ktouch: binary-without-manpage ktouch
>
> ok, so i made a manpage, like in the new maintainer guide, but
> dpkg-buildpackage doesn't find the man page, do I have to tell some config
> file that there is this man page, or do i only have to make this manpage
> programm.1 ?? leave it in the debian dir?

Try dh_installman, failing that you can always install by hand.. but
debhelper sure makes things simpler.

> thx
> chris
> ps.:
> there is another error
> E: ktouch: symlink-should-be-relative usr/share/doc/HTML/en/ktouch/common
> /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/common
> but this one is from the program i think, so i need to edit some stuff in the
> programms source, or?

Try dh_link, look at man dh_link. You have a file in the debian dir
named $pkg.links that contains src dest to create. dh_link will create
them relative or not depending on policy.

> pps: and some other stuff. it is a normal kde program made with kdevelop.
> when i install it normal with the tar.gz file ( ./configure && make && make
> install ) I have to do an
> export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde
> else the program wont work.
> when I install the program with the deb file everything works, no need for an
> export. on every other distribution it works without a problem.
>
> ppps: I'am using sid can I make on this machine debs for potato (I think this
> is not possible)

Look at debootstrap, helps setting up a chroot system. If your main
system is woody/sid you can create a chroot potato to build in, or vice
versa.

HTH

Gordon Sadler