Re: ChangeLogs and a pure debian package.

> I am packing a program (VisualOS) which I am the author and upstream
> maintainer (pure debian package?) and I have a couple of problems.

As has been stated, this should not be a pure debian package.

For example, I have a package called msttcorefonts which is an installer
app for installing Microsoft's True Type fonts on Debian systems.  It'
not particularly useful for anything other than a Debian system.  I
packaged that as Debian native.

I'm also one of many upstream contributors to gimp-print.  I'm maintaining
the Debianization of gimp-print directly in the upstream CVS repository,
but gimp-print is not a specific to Debian, so it's not a debian native
package.

> The first problem is that I generate the changelog automaticly from CVS
> which seams too big and verbose for a debian changelog but I am not
> suposed to have an upstream changelog in a pure debian package.

Gimp-print is in exactly the same situation.  I don't include the
CVS log dump in the debian package.  It's in a file called "ChangeLog"
in the upstream source, but it's far too detailed to be useful for
anyone.

The NEWS file is the what I installed as the changelog file with
dh_installchangelog.

> The other problem is versioning. The last released version is 1.0.2,
> would it be ok if I use version 1.0.2.YYYYMMDD and distribute current
> code?

Only if this code is different than the released version.  When you
debianize released code, even if it is your own code, you should
use 1.0.2-1, 1.0.2-2, etc; if you want to package CVS snapshots rather
than tagged versions, then you can use something like 1.0.2+cvsYYYYMMDD-1.

Eric