Re: Two-part initialization?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 08:39:47PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:26:35 -0500, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> >Then have three scripts.  Put the common common code into a third script
> >which is not called directly by init, but have the two init scripts call the
> >third script.  This avoids redundancy and is quite clear, I think.
>
> But it is as well yucky. Where should the script with the common code be
> located? /etc/init.d as well?

It should probably not go in /etc/init.d unless it could be called with init
file syntax on its own and do something appropriate.  If it fits the general
format of setting shell variables, /etc/default may be appropriate.  If not,
perhaps /etc/<package>/init.sh or some such.

In any case, it should be in /etc, it should be a conffile, and its purpose
should be clear from its pathname.

--
 - mdz