Re: Library packaging

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:39:46AM +1100, Sam Couter wrote:
> > Just put the file in a private directory (i.e. /usr/lib/njamd/ or so) and
> > you'll be fine. No symlinks are necessary I'd think.
>
> If the library is in some directory other than a normal library directory,
> the full path will have to go in the LD_PRELOAD variable, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> will need to be set as well.

Ah, okay.

Since this library wouldn't get linked to like others would, how do you deal
with the issue of (not) having a shlibs file and (not) invoking ldconfig?

> If the .so symlink is not included, the version of the NJAMD library to use
> will also need to go in the LD_PRELOAD variable. That's not just
> inconvenient, it's insane.

I didn't mean that, I meant that you can make the real file be called
libfoo.so and that's it. Unless of course the version in the file name is
necessary?

It doesn't look like this is covered in Policy or FHS...