Re: Adopting a package

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:48:57AM +0100, Javier Vi?uales Guti?rrez wrote:
> I know to make a _new_ debian package from its sources but now, I need to
> package a _orphaned_ package from its diff, dsc, orig and changes files.
> What do I have to do?.

First, apt-get source <packagename>. This will download the diff, dsc, orig,
and unpack them. If you already have the .diff, dsc, and orig.tar.gz, use
dpkg-source -x filename.dsc to do the same as apt-get source.

Now, update the package. If you need to upgrade to a new upstream version
uupdate automates this process nicely. (Note that if you get .rej files for
the diff, you'll have to merge the changes manually; sometimes, if it's
just editing the Makefile.in, you can re-run automake if the Makefile.am was
properly patched. Deal with it on a case-by-case basis.)

Don't forget to change the Maintainer to your name in the control file, and
create a new revision with your name in the changelog (dch -i in the
source tree will create a new revision.)

Hope this helps,

Joe