Re: mentor request

(I sent this to Brian privately, and then realized that I could also
benefit from others on the list looking it over. Not to mention that
it's a good program that you ought to try out anyway! :-)

* Brian Russo (brusso@phys.hawaii.edu) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 06:42:11PM -0800, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> > I have a working package at the moment, but I'd appreciate it if an
> > experienced maintainer would look it over for correctness, make
> > suggestions, and perhaps explain some of the issues that are not quite
> > clear to me. I do my homework, so being my mentor would not be a taxing
> > job (I hope :-).
>
> Sure, just post it somewhere I'll take a look.

Thanks a lot. I created two, one for potato and one for woody:

http://www.reverberate.org/potato/audacity_0.94_i386.deb
http://www.reverberate.org/woody/audacity_0.94_i386.deb

Lintian complained at the very end of the latter build:

W: audacity: unknown-section unknown

Is that a section in the executable file? dh_strip runs successfully
earlier in the build.

Since the program uses both libvorbis, libogg, and wxWindows, libraries
only found in woody, I downloaded the source, compiled them under
potato, and statically linked them for the potato deb. On the project
web page, this is the only deb we advertise, for simplicity's sake (is
there any reason why that would be a problem?)

What am I to do when there is another upstream release? Should I simply
copy the "debian" directory out of the old tree and into the new, update
the changelog, and rebuild? What about an incremental release, to fix a
bug on my (wearing the package maintainer's hat) part? Am I supposed to
make a diff of my changes?

Lastly, what do I need to take into consideration to accomidate for
people who wish to do a source build? How would I note that to build on
potato, you must manually download and compile wxWindows and libvorbis?

Thanks for your help, Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman <joshua@haberman.com>,  University of Puget Sound
"Delaying decisions" is too often a euphemism for "avoiding thinking."