Re: dpkg-statoverride sucks

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:12:48PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Now when I do this by hand in debian/rules, it all works just fine.  But I
> was given to understand that setting gid mode was better done using
> dpkg-statoverride for security reasons in the postinst script, using
> something like: /usr/sbin/dpkg-statoverride --update --add root games 2775
> /var/lib/games/mirrormagic

You were given to understand wrong.  You should set the directories as
appropriate in the .deb, and the user can override them with statoverride if
they choose.  If you're feeling adventurous, you can prompt the user with
debconf and add the statoverride for them, but the semantics of how that should
work are unclear.  I, for one, am choosing to let the user add overrides
manually until there is a consensus.

--
 - mdz