Re: Building: w or w/o Stripping, w or w/o debugging symbols

On 25-Jan-2001 Colin Watson wrote:

> Most of the example code I showed was just setting Makefile variables,
> so it should go outside any targets (normally near the top of
> debian/rules). Depending on the structure of the upstream Makefile, you
> might need to arrange for those parameters to be passed to it in some
> other way. It varies from package to package.

I have placed the example code from Debian Policy inside debian/rules
near the top of the file. I changed the packages' configure.in and some
instances of Makefile.in so the program is built with the proper
CFLAGS finally. This way I did my first steps with autoconf, automake
and it was worth its hours.  ;)

While doing all that I just wondered if it is okay to have
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS have its effect in configure target. I was unsure if
i.e. some build daemons want to have DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS take effect
while calling debian/rules with target "build". After thinking a little
bit more about this I am almost sure it is okay to do this in any
of the steps. Anyone has to call all targets and I don't see any reason
not to set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS from the very beginning.

  bye
   Florian

--
  Florian Hinzmann      private: fh@bigfoot.de