Re: Virtual Packages

(I'm not subscribed to this list: please CC me)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:12:01 +0100 (CET), Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> > I mean, something like: to provide a "mail-transport-agent",
> > there must be a /usr/lib/sendmail, which accepts the following options.
>
> as far as I know, there's no such definition.
>
> > The reason I'm asking is because I'm now packaging a mail program
> > which sends mail via /usr/lib/sendmail, and I want to be sure the
> > options are portable.
>
> The following MTAs in unstable ship a /usr/lib/sendmail :
<snip>

I know how to use apt-cache showpkg, thanks.

But what happens when the next MTA is packaged? Do I have to check
compatability with that to?
Example: package "bug" depends on mail-transport-agent.
In /usr/bin/bug (part of the package is the line

"/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t"

How can bug assume there's a sendmail in /usr/sbin which accepts the -oi
and -t arguments?

Inside virtual-package-names.txt.gz is the following line:

mail-transport-agent    Mail transport agents (Smail, Sendmail, &c)

OK, where does it say "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t" is supposed to work
when a mail-transport-agent is installed?
Are you saying that there is no such place, that /usr/sbin/sendmail
is merely a piece of folklore that people packaging MTAs are supposed
to absorb?
--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.