Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath: please help me to undestand (bug #78232)

Domenico,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> my package (curl) get this warning from lintian. i tryed to gain more
> information from lintian by using -i switch but i don't get them.

> my package uses libtool and the ill-famed -rpath parameter.
> i run libtoolize -fc in order to update the libtool files in the build
> tree but i still have the problem.

> anybody has any idea about solving this problem, it is bug #78232.

>From earlier discussions on debian-mentors, it seems that the correct way to
handle shlibdeps for local libraries is to call dpkg-shlibdeps with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set so that it points to the directory where you have
libcurl.so.1.  This way, dpkg-shlibdeps will use the DEBIAN/libcurl1.shlibs
for the package you are building, and you don't need debian/shlibs.local at
all for this.

Some versions of dpkg-shlibdeps (including the most recent) can use a
'-l <libdirectory>' option to specify additional shared library directories.
You may want to Build-Depends: on a specific version of dpkg-dev if you use
this.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer