Building: w or w/o Stripping, w or w/o debugging symbols

Hello!

I've found some time to clean up my packages finally. One
thing to do make the Debian package build with or without
stripping the binaries and with or without debugging symbols
according to some environment variables.

I've once read about this being a requirement for some new
policy version, but I don't find this passage now!

Can anyone give me a pointer please?

  Thanks
       Florian

--