Re: Few questions about changing source before packaging...

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 11:27:59PM +0100, Sander Smeenk (CistroN Medewerker) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you all could've read I just adopted the micq package and i'm
> very happy with that since I use micq very often...
>
> I have a few questions because I am still a little newbie at this :]

Next time take this discussion on debian-mentors that is the forum
for such things.

> First of all.. Is it OK for me to apply patches to the source
> that improves the program? Or should all modifications to the
> source go via the upstream author? In fact I patched the micq
> source so that it reconnects to the server if the server closed
> the connection, and this is a reported bug (#72108).

Yes of course you can apply patches. But you should also try to
get them to the upstream author(s).

> Second.. I adopted the package... With libgd (also adopted) I just
> apt-get source'd the package, altered the changelog and uploaded it
> again. Is this the correct way to do this?

Yes it should be correct. Talk to the former maintainer if he/she
have any not submitted fixes. But that should be correct.

// Ola

PS. I do not read debian-mentors that often so I will probably
not help you with this (separated with a badly configured procmail)
so cc me will not help. :) If you want contact with me directly you
have to send a mail specified to me only. :(
DS.

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |