use debconf directly from init.d?

I have a packaging question about the use of debconf.  I have a
package that I want to change to use debconf with.  I have the
impression (although the documentation doesn't say so) that the normal
way to use debconf is to have a "config" file that does the
interaction, then convert the contents of the debconf database to an
ordinary config file, and finally to use the config file.

It seems to me that it would be far simpler to just change my scripts
to refer to use db_get and not worry about formatting a config file.
In particular, I only need the configuration information in an
"/etc/init.d/" file (and perhaps later in a similar
"/etc/apm/events.d/" file), and it's easy enough to access db_get from
there.

Any reason not to do this?