Re: package must upgrade another

>> Peter Novodvorsky <nidd@debian.org> writes:

 > abiword-expat \  This packages contain binaries of abiword on without
 > abiword-xml   /  libxml support and one with it.
 > abiword-common   Common part of packages above.
 >
 > Many user's don't know about abiword-expat and abiword-xml because
 > they don't replace package named 'abiword'.

 Which one is identical to the current abiword package?  (Or better yet,
 what's the better/most desirable/most appealing/most likely to fit
 everyone's preference/... one?  I'll assume it's abiword-xml for the
 purpose of this discussion)

 Just do this:

 Package: abiword
 Provides: abiword-xml
 Conflicts: abiword-xml
 Replaces: abiword-xml
 Depends: abiword-common, ...

 Package: abiword-expat
 Provides: abiword
 Conflicts: abiword
 Depends: abiword-common, ...

 Package: abiword-common
 Conflicts: abiword (<< someversion)
 Depends: abiword, ...

 where someversion is the version where abiword-common was introduced.
 Don't use a Depends: abiword (>= someversion) because dpkg doesn't have
 (or has always had) versioned provides.

--
Marcelo