dual boot with w2k

   Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:21:13 -0500
   From: "Clair J. Branch" <cjbranch@engin.umich.edu>

   Has anyone set up a dual boot with Debian 2.2 and Windows 2000?  In
   particular, I concerned about configuring lilo to understand
   W2k.  According to the Debian installation instructions on the web page, it
   says that all I need to add in lilo.conf is:

   prompt
   .
   .
   .
   other=/dev/hda1 label=win

   (assuming lilo is in the MBR), but the Linux gurus I know who have done a
   dual boot (none with W2k) have all used the NT boot loader to do this.

I have my machine set up exactly like this, with potato and W2K.  It
works fine.

   Do anyone have strong feelings one way or another on what is
   easiest or works best?

I only rarely boot W2K, so I consider using LILO as the primary boot
loader to be the easiest.  My understanding is that the only problem
with this arrangement is that the Windows disk administrator will get
upset if you have a non-standard boot loader.  Since I never use the
disk administrator, this isn't a problem.