Build-time setting of binary package names

Greetings,

I'd like to be able to have a build-time setting determine the names of
binary packages.  For example, on my petsc package:

     debian/rules PETSC_ARCH=linux_alpha_dec binary

builds using the Compaq ccc compiler.  I'd like to make it generate
packages with non-standard names, e.g. petsc-ccc-dev instead of
petsc-dev.  This and some /etc/alternatives tricks would allow users to
insntall multiple versions and select between them.

It doesn't seem like substvars can do this if there's more than one
binary package, since the filename needs the package name in it, e.g.
petsc-dbg.substvars.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

-Adam P.