Re: (long reply) Re: NM saga (all of it - Joey, this means you)

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:01:45PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
[snip]
> Joey informed me that he is no longer a DAM, so James is the only one we
> have right now. (the NM web pages need to be updated.)
[snip]
> if the job is too much for one person, or if James is too busy with
> other stuff then we need more people working on it.

Yes!!!

> we have hundreds of developers. in fact, we have hundreds who have been
> around for several years, more than long enough to establish whether
> they are trustworthy or not. we should call for volunteers and choose or
> elect half-a-dozen or so to do the job.

Exactly. There is no shortage of capable, qualified Debian developers who
can fill in this lack. Why did we settle for flamewars instead of
addressing this issue right at the root -- as Craig as done here -- :
appointing more people to work as DAM to ease the bottleneck?

> i can think of at least that many developers who have been around long
> enough and have demonstrated their integrity and their committment to
> debian who could certainly be entrusted with the responsibility.
>
> it's too important a job to leave in the hands of one or two people.

I heartily second that.

> Wichert, please appoint more DAMs ASAP, or call for an election to
> vote some more in if you can't decide on any names.

Yes, please do. We've delayed long enough already. Let's get this problem
out of the way so that we can stop flaming each other and get back to what
we ought to be doing -- coding, maintaining packages, adding value to
Debian.

Computers are like a jungle: they have monitor lizards, rams, mice, c-moss...