Re: dpkg-reconfigure, policy, and least surprise principle

Roland,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 07:51:01PM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:

>   A hypothetical third hand would be holding this: the postinst first
> reads the master config file and shoves its values into Debconf, then
> asks the debconf questions, then updates the sourceforge.conf file
> with the new values from Debconf.  It sounds horribly messy, though,
> and I'm not sure it's doable without too much hackery.

>   Anyone got a fourth hand?  Please?

This hypothetical third hand is the one that Debconf waves to say hi.
My understanding is that this is the preferred method of handling config
files through debconf.  It is hopefully doable without any 'hackery':
you just need a parser for your config file that can properly extract
the current settings.  If your postinst is written in POSIX sh, many
times sed and awk work very well together as a parser. :)

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer