build depends on auto{conf,make}

Hi mentors,
  I maintain a package that uses a bounce of auto-* tool.
In particular it uses: aclocal, autoheaders, automake and autoconf.
All this tools are contained in debian package autoconf and automake.

Until now, I call all this tools before doing the debian package so that
all the generated files will be included in the .diff.gz, seems to me
that this idea is not so elegant.

May I build depends on auto{conf,make} or is a deprecated idea?

TIA,
Cheers.

--
Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863