Re: Semi-contrib packages

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 09:49:29PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >>Can I "Build-Depends: ccc [alpha], cfal [alpha]" and still have the
> >>source package in main?
> >>
> >No, that would violate policy (2.1.2).
> >
> Right, thanks for pointing this out (I need to RTFP :-).  So the source
> would become contrib, because some of the binaries would need contrib
> software to build on one platform.  But then, can I put the
> gcc/g77-built binaries in main?  Hmm, doubtful.

Of course you can.
gcc/g77 does not require any non-free software. They require a C
compiler, but any C compiler, including gcc itself (for example a
previous version).  And for the bootsatraping problem on a given
architecture, it's still possible to use a cross-compiler on another
architecture.

AFAICT, only the very first free C compiler may have needed a non-free
compiler to build it. But then it was possible to recompile it with
itself to have it compiled on a free compiler...

Regards,

Nicolas