Re: Duplicate relations in dpkg-shlibdeps output

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 07:00:16PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > However, you should check if the package has a real duplicate relation on
> > > libpcap0, do dpkg -I guessnet_*.deb.

enrico@marvin:~/dev$ LANG=C dpkg -I guessnet_0.9-1_i386.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 12592 bytes: control archive= 1082 bytes.
     673 bytes,    16 lines      control
     591 bytes,     9 lines      md5sums
     257 bytes,     8 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
     194 bytes,     6 lines   *  prerm                #!/bin/sh
 Package: guessnet
 Version: 0.9-1
 Section: net
  Based on the network detecting code of laptop-netconf, guessnet
  tries to guess what network an ethernet device is currently connected
  to, using fake ARP requests.
  .
  It has been written to be coupled with the debian ifupdown package
  to achieve automatic network detection and configuration, but it
  can be used stand-alone to implement smart network scripts.

libpcap appears twice, but with different version information.  Since you can't say
(<< 0.7.0 && >= 0.6.1-1), this seems ok (besides the motivation that puts them
there, of course)>

> > Although why the << 0.7.0 is there is beyond me.
>
> It's probably a bad idea, but this is generated by libpcap0's shlibs file;
> Lintian should probably report it as a warning against that, not in this
> error against packages that are compiled against it.

So I can say I'm ok and ignore that lintian error, eventyally recompiling the
package when lintian or libpcap0 gets fixed?

Bye, Enrico