Re: New Lintian errors/warnings

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:11:46PM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> I repackaged a previously lintian-clean package of mine right now and
> the new lintian (v1.20.16) barks:

> W: libucxx0: postinst-unsafe-ldconfig
> W: libsigcx0-gtk: postinst-unsafe-ldconfig
>
> But both of them have the ldconfig call guarded like this:
>
> if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
>   ldconfig
> fi
>
> Is this a bug in lintian?

Possibly.  Understand that lintian is based on heuristic checks,
so yes there can be false warnings.  This particular check is
tuned to detect the shell code emitted by debhelper.  The exact
(perl) regular expression that lintian will NOT warn about is:

  /^if\s+\[\s+"\$1"\s+=\s+"configure"\s+\];\s+then\s+ldconfig\b/

On first glance, your code appears to be OK.  Maybe the "if"
is not in column 1?

A separate limitation of lintian is that it will only ignore
ONE instance of "ldconfig".  If you put the same code in there
twice, you'll get a warning.  I have done this accidentally by
putting in my own "ldconfig" *as well as* using #DEBHELPER
(which will insert the same ldconfig code).

Regards,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,