Re: libtool is a fool?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:15:50AM +1000, Iain wrote:

> I am trying for the first time to put together a package that creates a
> shared library. I was under the impression that the "Right Way" to do this in
> debian is to use libtool. I inserted the following lines into Makefile.am
>
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libvpopmail.la
>
> libvpopmail_la_SOURCES = $(COMMONSOURCES)
> libvpopmail_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:0:0
> libvpopmail_la_LIBADD  = -lfreecdb -lfreecdbmake -ldl

I believe you want:

libvpopmail_la_SOURCES = $(COMMONSOURCES)
libvpopmail_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:0:0 -lfreecdb -lfreecdbmake -ldl

(automake) Program and Library Variables:

`maude_LIBADD'
     Extra objects can be added to a static library using the `_LIBADD'
     variable.  This should be used for objects determined by
     `configure'.  Note that `_LIBADD' is not used for shared
     libraries; there you must use `_LDADD'.

`maude_LDADD'
     Extra objects can be added to a shared library or a program by
     listing them in the `_LDADD' variable.  This should be used for
     objects determined by `configure'.

     `_LDADD' is inappropriate for passing program-specific linker flags
     (except for `-l', `-L', `-dlopen' and `-dlpreopen').  Use the
     `_LDFLAGS' variable for this purpose.

     For instance, if your `configure.in' uses `AC_PATH_XTRA', you
     could link your program against the X libraries like so:

          maude_LDADD = $(X_PRE_LIBS) $(X_LIBS) $(X_EXTRA_LIBS)

`maude_LDFLAGS'
     This variable is used to pass extra flags to the link step of a
     program or a shared library.

--
 - mdz