Re: Sponsor request for gcvs

On Sunday, October 21, 2001 12:00:40 +0200 Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> wrote:

David Caldwell <david@porkrind.org> writes:

E: gcvs: interpreter-not-absolute ./usr/share/gcvs/ChangeRoot.tcl #
!CVSGUI1.0
W: gcvs: script-not-executable ./usr/share/gcvs/ChangeRoot.tcl
W: gcvs: unusual-interpreter ./usr/share/gcvs/ChangeRoot.tcl #!CVSGUI1.0

  Actually I get that error for every file in share/gcvs/*.tcl (18
  files). It is all true, but I don't see why it's an error in this
  case. The scripts are used as macro extensions to the gui and are
  not runnable from the command line so the "script-not-executable"
  warning doesn't matter.
[snip]
  But that's what this package uses to check if the script is the
  correct type.

It could be argued that selection of a magic that starts with "#!" is
not the best choice. But it's not an error either.

Agreed on both points.

All that being the case, how do I get lintian to shut up?

Since I think lintian is generally wrong on this (not just
misdiagnosing your special case), the best way is to report a bug on
lintian -- preferrably with a patch.

Ok. I'll see if I can get a patch for lintian. Either way, I'll file a bug report.

In the mean time, you can use overrides. See section 2.4 of the
Lintian User's Manual.

Ok, I did this. The package in <ftp://ftp.indigita.com/other/david/gcvs> has been updated.

Thanks,
David