RE: to conffile or not to conffile

> So I'm left in a situation where:
>
>     - Policy forbids me from editing the /etc/flipit.conf if I mark it a
>       conffile.
>     - The program won't work if /etc/flipit.conf isn't edited.
>     - I really do want to make it a conffile, so the user is notified of
>       future options.
>     - I really do want to ask the user what serial port to use when the
>       thing is installed.
>
> How do I best resolve this paradox?

best you can do is config it to match as many uses as possible.  If you need to
specify a serial port, choose ttyS0 (com1).  Use a debconf message to inform
the user that they need to edit this file.  Set the message to a low priority.

This is one of the more annoying aspects of packaging.  The fine line between
features and safety.

-----
We have buried the putrid corpse of Liberty. -- Benito Mussolini